Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Gear, gear and more gear!!

So all you need is shoes and some athletic clothes right???  In reality the answer is yes, in weirdo runner world the answer is ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

So what do you need? Well, here's what I use and I don't go overboard and don't mix it up too much for a race day.

The Shoes

  Obviously you need shoes, the best way to determine which ones is to get a gait analysis (check your local running store).  If you don't have a running store (or the potential to visit the Brooks Running people at an event) then go try on A LOT of shoes. I am a big fan of what feels good usually is (that being said just because your Louboutins are comfy does NOT mean you should run in them). I personally run in Brooks Glycerins and LOVE them.  Big Daddy runs in the same and has the same sentiment.

The Socks

  For me this depends on the weather, if it's freezing cold I'll stick to my Smartwool socks (thanks Ma!).  If it's any other time I usually like my Under Armour Big Logo No-Show socks.

The Bottoms

  I personally prefer to wear compression (think spandex) capris or full length pants.  I feel like it keeps the junk from jiggling and there is no chaffing with everything squeezed in to that sausage casing-like pair of pants.  I have been known to wear shorts in the extreme heat but I have been careful to only wear those that don't chafe or get that funny butt-crack-eating-your-shorts thing going.  That being said my preferred compression running bottoms (both capri and full length) are from Under Armour women (check out the Heat Gear for winter).  Shorts are a combo for me, I like the Under Armour and North Face running shorts (ONLY buy running shorts with the underwear built in, and thank me later).

Under the Bottoms

 Yes, running underwear exists and it is glorious.  Again, my fave brand is Under Armour and I LOVE the Pure Stretch Cheeky.  And now you all know about my underwear...rethinking this section immediately.

The Top

  Personally, I am a matcher, I like my top to match my bottom.  Just makes me feel complete and like I belong on a running commercial (I don't but it makes me feel like I do).  I mix up the brands and styles here (weather dependent) but stick to a lot of Under Armour.

Under the Top

  If you are a boy/man/giant manchild STOP READING RIGHT NOW....if you are a woman/mother/girl/Wonder Woman READ ON!!!  Boobs, yeah I said it....boobs.  Gotta keep those things strapped in tight (there is a muscle under there friends, keep it healthy and lessen the SAG potential)...I don't have a "big" problem so I stick to my favorite Target brand (Champion maybe?) sports bras.  I have heard a lot of people like Moving Comfort as well!

Technical Stuff

  Now that you're all dressed we can get to the rest...if you are just starting out you don't necessarily need to invest in a GPS watch.  You can use one of the fabulous phone apps that are out there (my fave is MapMyRun from Under Armour) to track your distance, pace, calories, etc.  If you are ready to take that leap then I suggest Garmin Fitness for a GPS watch.  The Forerunner 10 is a great entry watch that won't break the bank but still gives you the info you need.  I actually run my Garmin and MapMyRun at the same time, no idea why, just because I can I guess. I am ready to upgrade to the Garmin Forerunner 220 (and it's my birthday soon....anyone need a gift idea for me????), the automatic uploads to Garmin Connect hooked me.

Hydration

  Everyone needs hydration, when training you usually have to provide it for yourself.  During races if you don't want to carry it with you there are always fabulous water stops, I can't use them because I don't want to stop to drink water and I haven't mastered the running while drinking from a Dixie cup thing yet, I usually end up with water up  my nose.  So I suggest to use the same thing during training that you'll race with.  I do a combo of things depending on distance.  For longer runs when I will need more water I use a Camelbak Mini M.U.L.E. (designed for biking but it works PERFECTLY for me) and Big Daddy uses a Cambelbak Rogue (it is made for a longer torso).  For shorter runs I use a Nathan Speed Draw Plus Insulated and waist pack to carry my phone (the Speed Draw Plus has a pocket for your phone but I use an iPhone 6+ and that huge thing doesn't fit in it).

Fuel

  Longer training runs and races need fuel.  I have a new found love for the ClifBar ClifBlocks.  Each block has the equivalent to half a cup of coffee in caffeine (YESSS).  They taste like the fruit snacks we used to take in our lunches as little kids, delish!!  We have used the Sport Beans made by Jelly Belly and they are ok, but kind of taste like a rhino ran a marathon and squeezed his sweaty shorts in to the package and it leaked in to the beans (nice visual huh?).

Headwear

  I have several things I use and it mostly depends on my mood.  I love the Headsweats visors so I use that pretty often.  I also have a RUN HAPPY Brooks Running visor that I love and I rotate that in as well.  My other fave is headbands, and I recently started wearing the Hippie Funktional Runner headbands, they are rad.  Super cute and they stay put without giving me a headache (BIG deal for me, I have a tiny head and too tight gives me a headache but I have to keep this wild mane contained).  I would love to try a bunch more headband brands, itFit, BondiBand, etc. and see how they work for me!!  Big Daddy likes his Junk Brand one we picked up at the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon.

Race Day

  Not an every day training run accessory but on race day I use a race belt.  I tried Race Dots but was not a fan (they are super strong magnets that take the place of safety pins).  The race belt (mine is from Boco Gear and is super cute a girly and pink) holds your bib and doesn't get in the way, and no worry about those nasty little safety pins (safety my behind, I have stuck myself more times with those...ok getting off track - catch that running joke??).  Big Daddy uses one from Zoot with nurtrition loops.  The handy dandy loops hold his nutrition packs (aka gel/goo, whatever you call that nasty stuff) to make life easier.

Ok so here is my last little piece of advice, NEVER, and I mean NEVER (I used my mom voice there, did you hear it?) wear something in a race that you have not trained in.  It will end badly, and usually in terrible chaffing (eeeewwww).  Use what is comfy, use what makes you happy!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment